Here she is: My thesis. Download, share, quote and ponder.
A huge thank you to the organizers of the Society of Professional Journalists’ New England chapter for inviting me to unveil my research at today’s conference. Here’s the slide deck from my talk:
And here are links to a few of the books, articles and people I mentioned in my talk:
- Gwyneth Mellinger’s Chasing Newsroom Diversity provides a fascinating and thoroughly-researched overview of diversity efforts in legacy media.
- Here’s Nicco Mele’s article on what he calls the “diaspora of journalism.”
- A number of journalists and scholars are looking at racial disparities in digital media. Michelle Ferrier’s work in this area is especially interesting.
- I also talked a lot about diversity as a matter of ethics. Here’s SPJ’s Code of Ethics, and here’s Poynter’s new ethics site — Truth and Trust in Media.
- As for the suggestion to post job ads and call “bullshit” on editors who say they can’t find diverse and qualified hires, check out this piece about the pipeline un-problem and yesterday’s post about recruiting practices.